The BBC, by far my favorite news site, has done a complete redesign that seems to be right on at just about every level. Steve Herrmann, the editor of the site outlines all the changes here. The main points he stresses include:
- It’s wider, using 1024 pixels.
- More open design and space to breathe.
- New masthead and centred pages.
- Bigger images.
- Less intrusive ad units.
- Better presentation of video and audio.
- Easier to locate TV and radio programmes across all BBC properties.
As you might expect not all of the BBC’s loyal readers were happy with the redesign and within less than 24 hours they’d posted more than 1,000 1,500+ comments. So cue Julia Whitney, the head of the redesign team to explain in more detail their thought process.
Update #2: Here is an article about their last major redesign in 2003.